Years ago, I had a quilt plan in my head that called for a LOT of different fabrics. I thought that the best/easiest way to get the fabric variety I needed would be to use precut strips, and I purchased a bunch of different Hoffman Bali Pops from the Fat Quarter Shop, and found one “locally” at the Army Arts and Crafts shop in Germany. If you’ve been around a while, you may remember this post, in which Crazy Accuracy Freak Girl had conniptions over the state of those precut strips. They were crooked and cut off grain, and I couldn’t see how you could use those strips for anything that required any accuracy at all.
I heard from both Hoffman and Fat Quarter Shop about that blog post, and there were offers to replace and/or refund the costs of the bundles which was lovely of them obviously. I never bothered with that since I’d have had to mail them back to the States from Germany, and I didn’t plan on using them right then in the end anyway. Continue reading “Bali Pops Precuts and Bali Breezes Quilt Pattern”
I’ve been thinking about my collection of quilting UFOs lately. Well, a little more than usual, I guess. I have quite a few, though I don’t know exactly how many anymore. Some I think about quite frequently, and others I totally forget about until I go pawing through the boxes looking for something unrelated and happen to find them again. I’m starting to wonder if it’s about time for another purge though.
The problem isn’t that they’re stuffed in boxes everywhere: Continue reading “The Real Problem with Quilting UFOs”
Over the last couple of weeks, I’ve been working with a new Watercolors Bali Pop from Hoffman Fabrics to design a quilt. This Bali Pop has 40 2½” x 43″ strips of Style #1895 Handpainted Bali Batik fabrics, and came with a neat color card with a list of all the colors in the Pop, including color numbers and names. Sweet, right?
I had an idea for the quilt in mind, so I fired up Electric Quilt to play around a bit. Once I had a rough design, of course I wanted to fill it in with fabrics that matched what I had in the Bali Pop. I knew that there were already some Hoffman batik fabrics in EQ by default, so I tried using those. The problem was, I couldn’t tell if I had exactly the right fabric swatches in the sketchbook on the screen compared to the fabric I had in the Bali Pop.** What’s a girl to do? Continue reading “Hoffman 1895 Bali Batik Swatches for Electric Quilt”
Crazy Accuracy Freak Girl has broken out of her cage and is on the loose. I do try to keep her locked up, but she’s a wily one. If 1/16″ or 1/32″ of space that shouldn’t be there between two patchwork pieces that are supposed to match doesn’t bother you, that’s okay–then this post was not meant for you! You quilt your way, and I’ll quilt mine. 😉 However, if you are like Crazy Accuracy Freak Girl and you want to know the really nitty gritty details about how to make patchwork pieces fit together better, and maybe even perfectly on the first try (or you just want to have a good laugh at a quilter gone mad with the need to control literally everything) read on. Continue reading “Pinning Patchwork for Perfect Points”
I’ll admit it. I’m old school. I like marking quilting designs as opposed to just winging it and making it up as I go along, and my quilting quality is much higher when I have a line to follow. And to be honest, I mark designs for machine quilting and not hand quilting, so I guess I’m only sorta old school! 😉
Over the years, I’ve tried sooooo many different methods for marking quilts; some are easy and work well, some are only so-so but still good to have in mind just in case the easier methods don’t work for some reason. Here are ten different methods and tools to transfer quilting designs to your quilt top: Continue reading “Ten Ways to Mark a Quilt Top for Quilting”
Whew!! Okay, I can maybe get back to life now! I spent literally ALL WEEKEND and part of Monday working through the bazillion little details that have to be dealt with to move a website to a new domain. I’ve been kind of absent from life because of all the work to do it, but I’m happy to say it’s mostly done now. There are a few little bits that are still a problem; the programming seems to have picked up a slight flutter during the migration and I’m still trying to get my website host to do the right things to sort it all out, but it will get there. There are a couple of things for readers to note: Continue reading “New Digs! After Action Details”